Rent Increase

You are here : Member Forums Other Rent Increase
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
K
KC_880
14 Posts
0 Thanks
One of my properties was bought October last year (2007) with a tenant in-situ with a valid AST at 60 per week since the tenancy started October 2004. He was and still is paying only 60 pw and I need to increase it.

I can serve the S13(2)but my dilemna is as follows:

I need to increase the rent substantially. He was getting part benefit, now it seems he is 100% benefit rent. If I increase his rent substantially to cover my costs to say 85 pw then he is technically allowed this as benefit under the Local Rent Allowance scheme as a one bed requirement (tho the property is a two bed. The council advised that he should cease his current benefit, restart (losing just one week) and they will then pay the new allowance.

However, I am worried that the council might refuse as this is a large increase although long overdue and the huse was n ot bought in the best condition, but the tenant does not want us to refurbish it.

CONCERN: Can they then stop me terminating him as a direct result of this refusal, as I would have to determine the AST, refurb the proeprty and then let it at 100 per week.

Thanks

04/09/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband