Information to help fix leak in underground shared water supply, please

You are here : Member Forums Other Information to help fix leak in underground shared water supply, please
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
Richie
92 Posts
3 Thanks
I would be grateful for any pointers about sources of information, thanks.

We have an ex-council rental semi-detached property in St Albans, at which a leak seems to have developed in the water supply mains underneath the kitchen. We have made two holes in the concrete floor to try to trace the source. Where the floor was slightly damp for a very long period (even without rain), we have dug down about 80cm in one (no sign of water, but a small amount of damp soil). We have also dug down about 100 cm where the water mains rises through the floor into the kitchen. We have a pool of water down there, and can see evidence of clean water leaking into it, but the pool stays at the same level, so must be running out at the same rate. The surface of the pool would be about 60 cm below the outside ground level. The mains water supply is shared with the other semi, with one stopcock in the footpath serving both (and thatís why they say they cannot provide water meters).

I asked the council if they had plans for the development (they built it in the 50ís, and sold this one off in 1978). All they found was a plan of the the stormwater connections, but even that did not seem to match the as-is installation.

Q1: is there somewhere I can get accurate plans/maps of the water supply pipes?
Q2: is there any way I can get the council or water supplier to fix the problem?
Q3: is this something that landlordís buildings insurance is likely to cover?

Many thanks!

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
24/05/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions