Council TAX

You are here : Member Forums Other Council TAX
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
G
Grumpy_Old_Man
4 Posts
0 Thanks
I have 5 tenants renting my 2 story house and unfortunately I dont have them on any lease as the previous tenants moved out and replaced themselves. The last lease I have is from Sept 2007 to Sept 2008. At that time 4 of the tenants were students and 1 wasnt. A Baliffs letter has been sent to the house in the non-students name and it seems that none of the tenants were paying council tax. All of the tenants in the house now are non-students.

Questions:
- In the absense of a signed lease who is responsible for council tax arrears ? I always used an AST in the past and assumed that they were responsible but they somehow got the impression that I was paying it.
- Even with a signed AST, what happens if they decide to not to pay it ? is it up to the council to chase them ?
- Or am I 100% liable because I dont have a signed AST ?
- Should I contact the council to explain or get legal advice before contacting them. I havent been resident in the property and the house has never been un-occupied.

07/11/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband