Damp from adjoining properties

You are here : Member Forums Other Damp from adjoining properties
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
Cathy55
6 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a first floor flat, three and a half years old, owned from new. Last week the tenants noticed water stains and peeling paint on two walls, similar above the window sill, and three cracked floor tiles in the kitchen area of the room. I visited and believe the problem could be from two adjoining flats whose bathrooms, according to the plans are immediately behind the damp patches on the walls. The ceiling area above the window was fixed 12 months ago by the building managers after a burst water pipe.
The managing agents (retained by the new landlords) have refused to help, as they consider the problems to be due to lack of maintenance and therefore out of the NHBC cover, and not in their remit. My service charge covers building insurance and I need to start a claim with 2 quotes for repairs, but the source of the damp needs to be sorted before redecoration can take place. I am trying to contact the owners/tenants of the 3 flats in question but little success in the last 48 hours.
Anyone experienced anything similar? Can the other flats refuse workmen access in an effort to trace the source of the problems? Any recommended workmen for the central London area that others have used?
17/04/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions