Local Housing Allowance

You are here : Member Forums Other Local Housing Allowance
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
A
Andyp
15 Posts
0 Thanks
i have a 2-bed house which i rent to a long-standing tenant under an AST for 70pw (paid by the council as housing benefit / local housing allowance, call it what you will), which i know is cheap. Recently, my tenant has fallen ill & now has had his son move in with him as his carer.His son receives a carers allowance etc & the housing benefit dept are aware that he now lives there.
I asked the council recently what the Local Housing Allowance would now be on this house based on the new circumstances & this is the reply I received below:

The Local Housing Allowance Rate applicable to this claim is 138 per week. We cannot pay more that 15 a week more than the rent charged and your tenants weekly entitlement to Housing Benefit from 13/4/09 is 85 per week (rent 70 plus 15) From 13/4/09 onwards you will be paid 70 per week and your tenant 15 per week.

For the period 30/3/09 - 13/4/09 your tenants weekly entitlement to Housing Benefit was 87 per week - the payment was split between yourself and your tenant - your were paid 70 per week and your tenant 17 per week.

Can anyone tell me exactly what this means? Does it mean that I can seek a rent increase to 138 per week? If so, how do I do it?

15/05/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions