Freehold house with leasehold flat. Is it licensable?

You are here : Member Forums HMO Licensing Freehold house with leasehold flat. Is it licensable?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
Saint
3 Posts
0 Thanks
I own the freehold of a house that includes a ground floor 'flat' on a 999 year lease, also in my name. There is a main front door to a lobby. From the lobby, there is a separate door to a ground floor self contained studio. There is also a rear entrance to a separate self contained 1 bedroom flat, also on the ground floor, so the ground floor is basically a 2 bedroomed flat on a 999 year lease that has been sub divided. There are 2 people/2 households on this floor. From the front lobby there is a staircase leading to a maisonette, on the first floor there are 3 bedsitting rooms with their own cooking facilities and 1 shared bathroom. There is a further door off the landing behind which there is a staircase leading to a self contained studio in the attic. The maisonette houses 4 people/4 households

It is my contention that as the ground floor is on a separate lease (and could theoretically be sold separately from the maisonette) and shares no facilities with the maisonette, the ground floor and maisonette should be treated as separate properties from a licensing point of view. I believe that both properties are HMOs but neither are licensable. Are you able to give me an opinion?

05/08/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband