New Tenants to take on deep clean & redecoration prior to occupation

You are here : Member Forums Other New Tenants to take on deep clean & redecoration prior to occupation
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
I have recently completed a 6 month tenancy through an agent (my first ever). The property is currently vacant and I have found independently new tenants who are keen to enter into a new tenancy. They are looking for a long term property min 1 to 2 years.

The property is only 4 years old, but ideally needs a deep clean to carpets and settee and generally would benefit from redecorating throughout (a coat of paint etc) and the ensuite bathroom following the previous letting is now 'moldy' requiring new silicone, and treating the blackening grouting.

I face the alternative of either paying for 'professionals' to come in and do the work, or by agreement with the new tenants them taking it on as seen and doing the work to their taste (by mutual agreement).

They are keen on the latter (given their intention of making it their long term 'home') which will inevitably save me money. Following preliminary discussions I would provide all the materials etc and they will provide the 'labour'. They have to give one month's notice on their present property which is nearby, and I am minded to give them access to undertake the work prior to their formal move in date. (They are a mature couple in their 50's and are very practical as am I.)

Having joined the RLA and read various articles (both here and elsewhere) should I be concerned about giving them access to the property before they move in and formally commence paying rent? It is only going to be standing vacant in the meantime, so if they are happy to do the work it seems like a win-win situation.

Am I missing anything critical / legal?

Regards

Robin

03/07/2009 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband