Can managing agent prevent sale of property?

You are here : Member Forums Other Can managing agent prevent sale of property?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
T
Tobermory
16 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a leasehold property which is being "managed" by a completely unprofessional company. I have not sent them any service charge payments for 2 years now as they have never sent out any statement of charge, or accounted for any money already sent to them in previous years.

They opened a county court case against me last year claiming I owed them service charge. My defence was simply that I had not received any statement of charge and the case against me was dismissed due to their non-compliance with basic legal requirement. They are now threatening to open another case against me and I intend to respond in the same way to this one.

I would like to make clear that I have no objection in principle to paying service charge and do so readily with the proper management companies I have running my other properties to a professional, acceptable standard.

My question is, when it comes time to sell the property, can this company make things difficult by claiming I owe them money, or simply not responding to solicitor enquiries? I have already been told by another owner in the same block they were unable to sell due to their solicitor not receiving any response from them.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

12/06/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband