Utility Bills during Void Periods

You are here : Member Forums Other Utility Bills during Void Periods
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
V
Vic_557
5 Posts
1 Thanks
I always inform utility companies at the start and end of every tenancies , with full details of incoming and outgoing tenants , forwarding addresses and meter reads. I also confirm in writing that during any void periods Ido not require any service and that they can shut off the supplies if they wish.

This for many years has been sufficient to avoid having to pay standing charges during void periods, but recently Scottish Power have been trying to bill me for standing charges (as well as for estimated usage despite me having confirmed that the property is empty and no gas/electricity is being used).

I always understood that provided I gave the utility company the info described above then no standing charges are due during void periods.

I think this is just the utility company getting smart and trying to squeeze more money out of landlords. They get very shirty when I argue with them ! But, so far I have managed to get them to give up but it wastes so much time talking to them and its very frustrating when they ignore my complaints and simply try to harass me into paying.

Can anyone confirm whether I am correct in my thinking or have the rules changed in recent times ? Or have I got this wrong ?

Many thanks,

Rgds, Vic

This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
12/07/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband