Chnages to a landlord's rights with gas and electric suppliers?

You are here : Member Forums Other Chnages to a landlord's rights with gas and electric suppliers?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
I
Ian_369
18 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi
In the past I have always contacted the utility companies and given details of tenants leaving, new tenants and meter readings.

During these calls I have spoken about past and future tenants with the utility companies with no problem. For example sometimes I need ring after a move in to check they did change the names to the new tenants correctly etc.

I have just had a call from a worried tenant about a letter from Npower threatening them with a 150 court charge for a warrant if they do not contact them within 24 hours to arrange access to test the meter.

It is the first letter these tenants (who moved in around 3 months ago) have had about this.

I rang Npower to check this with them and to see if I could help arrange access and to check they had the right tenant names for the property.

They refused to discuss it and said they could not talk to me about the safety check of the meter and the fact that they may force entry (to my house) - even though they accept it is my house and I am responsible for the safety of the gas.

They also said they could not confirm the names they had down as living at the property so I could check they had not made an error. This despite the fact that they accept I gave them the names in the first place.

I appreciate the difficulties and the importance of data protection but I have never come across it in this context before - have I just been lucky?

I understand I canot talk to companies about a tenant's bill etc but can I not talk to them about them safety testing of my gas meter?
And can I not check they have the right names on the bill?

Anyone shed any light?

04/07/2011 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband