Letting agent contract - fee to finish contract if tenant stays

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents Letting agent contract - fee to finish contract if tenant stays
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
3 Posts
0 Thanks
I usually let out my property myself but was in a difficult situation this time last year and a letting agent was very persuasive after seeing my ad on gumtree. I eventually signed up to a years contract for rent collection after they found a tenant - I believed this discharged my responisbility to pay further tenant finding fees.

In retrospect I wasn't astute enough in my questions regarding the end of contract arrangements and fees. After a year of paying for rent collection service I thought I could finish the contract but am advised that a clause written into the contract means they can charge me one full year (the length of time the tenant has been in situ) in order for me to finish the contract with the tenant in the property.

I am aghast and dreading further fees. I know i should have read and made sure i understood the small print but feel the wording is obscure, and further the performance to get a straight answer regarding my options and consequences has taken over 6 weeks which further frustrates me - incompetence or conniving to extend the tenancy??!!

Is it possible for you to advise me about the wording and my position - I feel the wording is unclear and further that this wasn't made clear at the start.

If not I would be grateful if you could advise re next steps - should I engage a solicitor or is there an advisory body that monitors letting agents?

Many thanks

Emma
28/06/2013 08:08

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband