How best to handle a change of tenant in a joint tenancy

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management How best to handle a change of tenant in a joint tenancy
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Mojo
6 Posts
0 Thanks
This question supersedes my previous question (not yet replied to).
We have a joint tenancy of 3 girls that's been running for 3 years. One girl has given notice, and we have another tenant who will move into her room. What is the best way to handle the tenancy agreement? Ideally I want to keep the same tenancy running, to minimise disruption for the other tenants. I could start a new AST, but the existing tenants don't want to sign up for another 6 months - they want to keep the rolling monthly arrangement. I could start a 1 month AST, but then I can't evict them (should I need to) for 6 months, so I'm exposed. Lastly, if I do start a new tenancy agreement, what happens to the old one, since only one tenant has given notice? Do I have to give the other tenants notice on the old agreement? They won't like that! I have a good relationship with my tenants, and don't want to cause them unnecessary aggravation.

I need to resolve this quickly as the change of tenant will happen in a week, so please reply promptly!

thanks

Mark

24/04/2010 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband