Tax on rental income

You are here : Member Forums Other Tax on rental income
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
C
Clavell
10 Posts
0 Thanks
In addition to my small property portfolio, I jointly own (with my brother and my sister) my mother's bungalow in Scotland, which she gifted to us some 15 years ago to mitigate her IHT liability. She is aged 90.

She pays the market rent, which we currently share on an equal basis and we declare the income on our respective tax returns.

My brother is in poor health with little money and is in need of additional income, so my sister and I would like to forego our share of the rent and let him have it all.

My question is, although we each own a 1/3 share of the property can we ask my mother to pay all the rent to our brother without affecting division of the capital value between the three of us when she dies.

The alternative is for my sister and me to pass on our share of the rent to our brother, but I think this would require us to still declare the income and have to pay tax on it even though we would not benefit from it.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Christopher Blount
01/10/2013 10:08

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband