Using Deposit to Pay for Unpaid Bills

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Using Deposit to Pay for Unpaid Bills
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Mookie
19 Posts
0 Thanks
I wonder if anyone could help?
I had three tenants living in a 2 bedroom flat: a couple and a single girl all on a joint AST.
The couple were the more financially astute ones and were supposed to have paid the bills. When they moved out (assigning their tenancy to another couple), it transpired that they hadn't paid any bills AT ALL for the 5 months they were there.

They have however sufficient deposit in the Depositguard DPS to pay off virtually all the bills, but the utility companies, quite bizarrely, won't give me the landlord any information on what is outstanding, preferring to send the final bills directly to the new tenants at the flat (fair enough, the tenants just email them to me anyway) and pursue the old tenants through the courts, racking up charges, penalties etc!

The previous couple will do everything they can to avoid being detected, but the single girl, who has continued the tenancy, may find herself stuck with all the bills and all the penalty charges. Surely it would be better off for everyone if I took the existing deposit and paid off the bills (the utility companies would get their money, the previous tenants wouldn't have to run from the law and there would be no potential for any debt to be lodged against the property).

However, can I use the deposit to pay the bills?

Please help! The previous couple are refusing to give permission (by simply not getting back to me at all).

Incredulous
08/04/2014 10:30

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband