please advise

You are here : Member Forums Other please advise
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
rino
2 Posts
0 Thanks
4 months ago the building where my flat is situated lost its roof due to adverse weather conditions. this meant that my tenant had to move out temporarily until all the necessary repairs were done. these were undertaken by the freeholder of the building and their insurers. my tenant did not inform me of where he was staying but just said with friends therefore i did not ask for any rent for the time he would not be able to reside back into my flat. all in all the repairs took 3 months before he was able to move back in. during this time i was not aware of where he was staying but beleieved that with not paying rent to me he had arranged some temporary stay , as he said with friends. 3 weeks ago i got a call from the landlord of the flat below my one and he informed me that my tenant had in fact moved into his flat during this time and was sharing with his tenants. this was the first time that i had known of this and now this landlord is demanding i pay half rent for those 3 months my tenant stayed there. my belief is that firstly i had no knowledge of his staying there nor had i been asked if i would pay on his behalf for alterantive lodgings and no contract was put in place to say otherwise. As i did not ask rent from my tenant would i be right in thinking that my tenant would be liable to pay to whoever the amount of rent that the landlord of where he staying would therefore ask ?? i am a bit unsure of my legal obligation within such an instance and would therefore be grateful for any adice you may be able to offer.
best regards
rino
31/05/2014 11:54

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband