Dps problem over 2 years after tenant has left

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Dps problem over 2 years after tenant has left
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
rlamanchester
65 Posts
0 Thanks
A tenant left my property over two years ago and owed rent, costs for sending non-payment rent letters and for professional cleaning.

The house was left in a very dirty mess/minor damage.I took a video of it and the council did not pay up to the end of tenancy. This week the tenant finally responded to DPS asking for all the months deposit back.

The first question is can I change the original amount I wanted to deduct from the DPS deposit? As I now want to charge up to the payment date which is longer than the original one calendar month.

As after reading the RLA AST contract "Notice must be given to expire on a rent payment day" Am I correct if the tenant gives verbal notice on 11/8/11 to leave and the payment date is 16th of each month. Then the tenant is liable for rent up to and including 16/09/11, even through they moved out earlier.

I presume as in the contract I can claim 3% above base for over due amounts over last few years?

Ideally I want to prove more than the months deposit is due just in rent alone, so I can nip things in the bud. As I believe the rest will be contested despite evidence.

Any general hints on handling DPS gratefully appreciated.
14/07/2014 12:42

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband