Deposit was taken 4 years ago

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy Deposit was taken 4 years ago
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
RAINBOW
18 Posts
0 Thanks
I think i may have a big problem. I had taken a deposit from a tenant 4 years ago. He is still in the property. There are several points I need to rectify. Firstly I did not top up the deposit amount each time rent was inccreased. therefore the deposit is less than the present rent. How can I top it up if he refuses to.?

Secondly, until I read an article in RLA i did not realize I had to put it in a DPS system because I thought I was exempt from doing this as it was before the new law. How could I rectify this?. Can the tenant take action against me even if I put it in a tenant deposit scheme now?.

Thirdly, if I issue a new contract, stating it was rent in advance and not a deposit will that solve the problem?. Can I change the contract in the middle of a rental period?. I would appreciate any ideas please.

Rainbow

20/09/2008 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband