If the tenant is applying for housing benefit, what shall I do?

You are here : Member Forums Other If the tenant is applying for housing benefit, what shall I do?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
W
WilliamL
3 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi, I recently signed AST agreement with new tenants introduced by agency. They are a couple with a young child. Before entering into agreement, the agent told me they did all the checking against the lead tenant (the husband). After signing the agreement, I was told that they had divoced and the husband is actually not living at the property. The ex-wife is an Australian and looks much older than the ex-husband (who sounds very local to me). She said she just arrived in the UK and is planning to apply for housing benefit. The ex-husband asked me to send her a letter with the amount of rental and say yes to the local council when I'm contacted by them. Would that give me trouble in the future?

I have heard a lot of stories regarding dispute with tenants who are on housing benefits and I don't want to take the risk of making another one myself. The ex-husband promised that he will keep paying for their rental, but can I evict them after the initial term of 12 months given a proper section 21 notice is served?
18/08/2014 11:28

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband