my tenant won't move out even though she gave notice

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears my tenant won't move out even though she gave notice
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
B
bucksandfizz
8 Posts
1 Thanks
Hello
My tenant gave us over one months notice in July (by text message)that they were moving out in sept, although they didn't give a precise move out date! They have also called us about being surprised that the agent was showing potential new tenants around (even though the agents got permission from the tenant first??).

They wouldn't agree to an inspection because it was Ramadan, I wasn't particularly concerned as my husband had been in a couple of weeks before and said the house seemed fine. Unfortunately I then went on holiday, and came back to find they hadn't paid august rent.

On Sept 3rd I went to check the house was empty, but they were still there. I mentioned about them moving at which point they said they would like to stay.... at this point they were 2 months behind on rent so I said they couldn't stay unless they paid all their rent straight away! BUT they only paid for August so I assumed they were going.

I was just about to check the house was empty today; when I got a message saying that there is a problem with the plumbing and can we get someone out. This amounts to them living in our house when they are supposed to have moved out.

I have responded to their message about a plumber advising them to turn the stop cock off; saying that I have assumed they are in the process of moving out and we'll get a plumber to resolve the problem before new tenants move in.

I am trying to be tactful and polite, and not rub the tenants up the wrong way!?! I just want them to move out ...it's so arrogant of them to give notice, be late with rent then hang about rent free. Is the final straw that they are now making demands??

On the basis of the tenants original text message about moving out in sept ...If I go round and no one is in the house can I just change the locks assuming that they have moved out??

Thanks in advance for any advise

08/09/2014 18:33

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband