Accidental damage

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Accidental damage
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
Mungwi
13 Posts
0 Thanks
One of my tenants reached to get something off a kitchen wall unit shelf. The shelf collapsed and a jar fell out and broke the glass of the induction hob.
My insurance has cover for this, but I expect the tenant to pay the excess (probably about 100).
The tenant, however, says the breakage was caused as a result of a faulty shelf, so is not his responsibility. I live abroad, so have not been able to inspect the shelf. Apparently there was not much on the shelf so I guess the tenant caught it with his hand, lifting it and dislodging the pins.
The tenant uses this shelf regularly, so I think he should have noticed if it was faulty in any way. If it is broken, I am tempted to assume that the tenant broke both the shelf and the hob glass.
I will have to have the hob repaired, but if the tenant won't contribute will I be able to withhold the cost from his deposit?
02/10/2014 18:40

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband