Dispute over who pays for repair

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Dispute over who pays for repair
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
T
Tony D
10 Posts
0 Thanks
I am in dispute with the landlord of a neighbouring property over who should contribute to the bill for some repairs which affect both of our properties.
The first item was a leaking water supply pipe, which ran under both of our properties. The water was coming up out of the ground on my side and causing damage. The fix involved moleing a new supply pipe under both properties, so the neighbour now also has a new pipe.
The second item is a leaking roof. The leak was in the band which joins the two roofs, but the water was coming down on my side of the wall into my loft. The fix involved putting in a new lead band to protect both roofs.
My view is that both repairs involved a benefit to the neighbour's property, so they should make a contribution. Their view is that the damage was being caused on my side, so it is my problem to pay for.
What is your view? Is there any (legal) precedent? If I wish to pursue the matter, is the small claims court an option?
Many thanks in advance
20/11/2014 21:35

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband