Beware what constitutes a deposit.

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Beware what constitutes a deposit.
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
M0BJK
4 Posts
0 Thanks
My tenant and I agreed the following prior to exchanging contracts.
Four days prior to taking the property she paid four weeks rent in advance and I gave her a receipt stating four weeks rent in advance.
My tenant was honest enough to say that she was afraid that she may not be able to save the rent weekly for her second months rent, and offered to pay weekly from day one of her four weekly in advance contract.
Over the next year rent arrears accrued and I issued a Section 21 Notice.
This case was held in Court last week and within five minutes,the Judge ruled that I had received a deposit and should have protected it,therefore throwing out my repossession claim.
I tried to persuade the judge that this arrangement was for the tenants benefit not mine.
The judge appeared totally anti Landlord and would not even look at the receipt I gave the tenant.
I am now in a position where I cannot get my house back and arrears are approaching 1000 and increasing
I have spoken to the Legal team at RLA but have not got any realistic answer as of yet.
I will have to go back to them after this post
Any positive comments would be appreciated

02/12/2014 15:23

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband