Recovering rent arrears following eviction

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Recovering rent arrears following eviction
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
SS
1 Posts
0 Thanks
I evicted a tenant using section 8 last year, and was awarded a ccj against the tenant at the same time for the rent arrears. He was using my property as a cannabis farm as well.
I suspected he was while he was there, but as he was in arrears 0it was easier to possess on that basis. He left plenty of evidence behind. Luckily it only needed minor repairs and decoration.

My issue is recovering the arrears from the tenant, although I was more interested in ensuring he cant simply move on to another landlord victim and do it all over again.

I have tried going through a solicitor, but it seemed like the costs were just going up and I wasn't getting anywhere, I also tried debt collectors.
When an address search was done on the tenant the tracing agent said he had moved back in with his mother. My solicitor wrote to him there, and all that happened was a letter came back from his mother saying "please don't write to my son at this address, he no longer lives here".

I used a debt collector, and tried tracing again and they phoned him on the number I gave them and he simply denied being that person and said he only got the phone a month ago, although they did acknowledge that they didn't actually believe him.

I am now at a loss as to how to proceed.
If all you have to do is deny who you are maybe I would of made more money by living in rented accommodation, taking out lots of credit and then moving on and denying I was the person that took the credit out.

I can think of lots of things that I would like to do to him at the moment, but I am looking for a way to sort him out legally.

Any idea what the best course of action is from here, I could accept the losses, but I don't want him to be able to easily do it again to anyone else. He passed all his referencing when he moved in, that was done by the estate agent.
06/01/2015 13:46

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband