Tenant left 3 months ago and now threatening court action under S214 of Housing Act 2004

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Tenant left 3 months ago and now threatening court action under S214 of Housing Act 2004
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
1 Posts
0 Thanks
In August 2014 I issued a Section 21 Notice of 2months to my tenant without re-serving the Prescribed Information at the point at which the tenancy changed to a Periodic Tenancy (i.e. April 2013), and I was ignorant of the Superstrike Case. (N.B. For clarification, the tenant's Deposit was registered appropriately with the DPS by my agent in October 2012 for a 6month STTA and the Prescribed information was correctly issued at the same time). Once I found out about the Superstrike case and the fact that I should have re-issued I immediately re-served the Prescribed information. I was not sure whether the tenant would move out on the specified date but he did and the agent returned his deposit accordingly.

Subsequently, on January 10th 2015, three months after the ex-tenant's departure, I received a demand from him for 3x the deposit, despite the fact that he moved out etc. Does the fact that he is literally no longer my 'tenant' counter his claim, for if one reads Section 214 of the Housing Act 2004 there only reference to a 'tenant' no reference to ex-tenants being able to make a claim?

Please could you advise me what I should do to avoid having to pay this rogue person, quoting any pertinent legislation or specific cases. Many thanks and in anticipation!
20/01/2015 21:39

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband