Requirement to add tenants partner to agreement?

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Requirement to add tenants partner to agreement?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
G
Greg W
1 Posts
0 Thanks
We purchased our first BTL property 2 years ago from friends with a sole female tenant already occupying the property and paying the utilities. We drew up a new AST and all was well for a while before rent arrears occurred. She then moved her partner in to the property who took over paying the rent from his bank account and all has been fine for 10 months now. My question is, as the AST (or Periodic agreement as it is now) is in her name only, am i legally required to add him to the tenancy agreement as he is living in the property and paying the rent on her behalf? If so, how am i best to go about this as i don't want to issue another AST for a fixed period in case more rent arrears occur?
Another reason i ask is i have just found out she has not paid the water utility for a long period. Although her debt and I'm not liable, I'm just making sure I'm legally covered with the tenancy before i decide on a course of action to take.
Appreciate any replies.
Thanks
25/01/2015 13:17

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband