Can I Claim Costs As A Litigant In Person?

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy Can I Claim Costs As A Litigant In Person?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
J
Jim_465
39 Posts
1 Thanks
Can anyone tell me if I can claim costs for a small claims summons in the County Court for:

a) My time to prepare a small claims court summons.

b) My time for additional work from the time of issuing the small claims summons to getting judgment.

c) My time to travel to court and attend court.

Also can I claim costs for paying a member of staff or someone who works for me for their time to:

a) Prepare a small claims court summons.

b) Additional work from the time of issuing the small claims summons to getting judgment.

c) Their time to travel to court and attend court.

If I can claim for any of the above is there any protocol I must follow to be formally correct in asking for these costs i.e. must I write in the costs in my particulars of claim and quote the relevant legislation? What about post costs expenses after submitting the summons; how do I ask for them? I am aware of the Litigants in Person (Costs & Expenses) Act 1975 covered by the Civil Procedure Rule 48.6. I have recently been to court and was successful in achieving judgment against all of the defendants but when I asked to the Judge to award me with costs for time to prepare the court case and administrations costs thereafter she just said “NO, you are not allowed to claim for these costs”.

I then quoted the Litigants in Person (Costs & Expenses) Act 1975 but she still said “NO, you are not allowed to claim for these costs”. I then said that I had sought legal advice and they had said that I was entitled to claim and she replied “NO, you are not allowed to claim for these costs”.

The court case was a protracted one and it cost me over 80 man hours of labour.

All replies will be greatly appreciated.

24/04/2012 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband