Broken WC - tenant adding to problem - what are my responsibilities - any Advice needed

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Broken WC - tenant adding to problem - what are my responsibilities - any Advice needed
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
S
Samui
23 Posts
4 Thanks
Advice really needed on this one never happened to me before. Tenant has ensuite room with WC with saniflo. 4 weeks ago she told me its broken. She admitted its been going wrong for 2 years although only just told me now. She changed her locks without telling me so access has been difficult. Got it replaced by plumber from Checkatrade.com (rated plumbers) on 14th January and gave her 250 off her monthly rent since she does have access to bathroom downstairs. Broke down 2 days later due to ? Asked her not to use it. Later that day she used it and next day dirty water pours through the ceiling into my hall because shower tray overflows. She denies it. Now it gets complicated, following vists from an electrician and a macerator engineer, no one can tell me if the fault is in the electrics(?) because the electrician told me it had been wired in wrongly, the supplier of the macerator who wants it removed and to test it, or the plumber who says it could be pipes, or the macerator. During this time when i have asked tenant not to use her bathroom for the relevant reasons, she has continued to use it thus increasing damage to the bathroom floor and the hall ceiling underneath and it now stinks cos she has continued to use it when WC doesn't work. She refuses to use the bathroom downstairs. Since now i have to have further investigations as to what the cause is i have offered for her not to pay her rent for February and offered her alternative accommodation in a nice one bed flat in zone 2 london (same zone as already). I think this is fair no rent and free (bigger) accommodation during the time it takes for me to solve the problem (pipe renewal may be necessary). She has also contributed to the problem since without telling me she got her own electrician in ? which she won't provide me with the report as to what he did (for all i know it could be him that wired in the macerator the wrong way around).
Anyway i think i ve done the best i can in the circumstances - however what do all you experienced landlords think? She keeps talking about my breach of the contract (potential lawsuit?) - well obviously i am doing what i can to remedy it and provide her with no rent and a 1 bed flat. does anyone know of the legal consequences of all of this? Or what the best plan of action would be? When i ve fixed her macerator i am going to give her notice but what to do the right thing before i do that.
31/01/2015 15:26

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband