Billing of Council Tax on Empty Properties

You are here : Member Forums Other Billing of Council Tax on Empty Properties
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
C
Chamar
6 Posts
0 Thanks
Since April 2013 I believe Local Authorities have been able to set the amount and length of time for any discounts on Council Tax for "Empty and Unfurnished" property, within certain limits set by Government, and these discounts vary widely.
A LA where I have a property sent me a bill giving me a crystal clear unequivocal unambiguous unqualified 100% discount for the rest of the financial year to 31 March. Then a few weeks later sent me another bill saying the discount only applied for a maximum of 28 days and I owed them for the rest of the financial year! I queried the absurdity of telling me I had no Council Tax to pay and then that I did when the only change is that we are all 28 days older. The LA is adamant that it is billing in accordance with the Council Tax (Administration & Enforcement) Regulations 1992 (SI 613) Regulations 20 & 24.
Do any members have any experience of this sort of billing, or better still of where the LA informs you that there is a limit on the discount at the outset?
05/02/2015 17:42

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband