Join the Residential Landlords Association

gas v electric

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion gas v electric
Sandra 1963
Sandra 1963
40 Posts
6 Thanks

Hi everyone

I have six one bedroom flats/maisonettes with either GSC or electric radiators. With the decline in fossil fuels and the Government attempting to move away from gas in new builds should I just replace the two gas boilers that are coming to the end of their life with new efficient gas boilers or bite the bullet and replace with either electric boilers or just electric radiators/storage heaters?

All the propertie are less than 30 years old and the two where I have installed electric radiators (replacing old storage heaters and some weird convector heaters) have had positive feedback from the tenants.

Pros and cons for both I know, and whilst electric is only a cleaner energy if it is produced by greener methods at source, it is the future. Solar panels and other greener methods are only viable if Freeholders get involved in blocks of flats

Electric may be more expensive in running costs for the tenant but cheaper for the landlord with no annual GSC's although their current bills with inefficient gas boilers might mean they see little difference with a changeover to electric.

I can always replace gas with gas and kick the can down the road for another 15-20 years!

Many thanks

Sandra

16/06/2019 11:13

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions