Utilities during notice period (vacated property)

You are here : Member Forums Other Utilities during notice period (vacated property)
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
K
katenutt
9 Posts
0 Thanks
Hi
We are inexperienced landlords. We have had the same, very satisfactory, tenants for 3 years. They have now purchased their own property and served us with two months notice, but will be moving out 6 weeks before the end of their notice period. We have found new tenants who will be moving in a week before the end of the notice period which has been agreed with the current tenants (who will of course stop paying rent when the new tenants move in).

My question is, who is responsible for the utilities while the property is empty, but still being paid for by the existing tenants?I assume that it is the current tenants (and not us as landlords). Is this correct? I understand that the local council will give council tax exemption for up to six weeks if the property is empty and unfurnished. Who would be responsible for advising the council of the empty property?

Many thanks for your help.

K
08/02/2015 16:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband