Join the Residential Landlords Association

Possessions left behind

You are here : Member Forums Other Possessions left behind
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Snowbrains
Snowbrains
4 Posts
0 Thanks

On 20/06/2019 a premises was returned to me. (A bailiff attended but it appeared the tenant had left the day before.) The tenant‘s debts are covered by a guarantor. My difficulty is the tenant has left furnishings and possessions which are, along with the premises, quite filthy. I understand I cannot dispose of these items which include a large ottoman type bed with bedclothes splattered with what appears to be blood & excrement. Bedding, duvets and two settees are none to pleasant also. A washing machine, vacuum, storage, cabinets, clothes rail, plus much other miscellaneous junk remains. I understand, if disposed of, these items suddenly become brand new and valuable in the eyes of the law should the tenant return for them.
The thing is I have nowhere to store this junk and cannot get on with restoring the premises to re-let. I could hire storage but doubt if a removals firm would handle the items though I have net approached any.
I have no forwarding address for the tenant. I do have a mobile phone number for both her and her mother
who I have been dealing with mainly. The tenancy agreement did not cover this type of situation.
Are you able to tell me how long I am obliged to look after what she has left behind? And am I obliged to attempt to trace the tenant before I clear her possessions out?

21/06/2019 12:35

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions