Join the Residential Landlords Association

Break clause

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Break clause
Athena Nike
Athena Nike
4 Posts
0 Thanks

I have a tenant whose ast started on 1st June. He sent me some text messages recently stating he had reason to believe someone had entered the property and he was taking measures to monitor unauthorised access and that should this be the case he will take legal action.
My response was that he should call the police and that the property needed to be secure.
He was not interested in pursuing this matter.
In my opinion he was making a veiled accusation and threat that I had entered the property.
This is not the case.
I reminded the tenant he was not to alter or add to, windows or doors and that if he wished to use cctv equipment, they should not be fixed to the walls.
The tenant has requested I create an addendum to the AST to give a one month break clause to either party.
I'm not really sure what to do?
I want to address his report of unauthorised access in order that he doesn't use it as an excuse to add new locks or alter doors and windows.
Regarding the break clause, if he's unhappy then I don't mind releasing him from the contract but I don't then want to open myself to any claims he may have for removal costs etc.

21/06/2019 18:27

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions