Join the Residential Landlords Association

Locked out

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Locked out
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Andy A
Andy A
24 Posts
7 Thanks

Hi to all

One of my tenants locked herself out and she phoned me on Saturday night at 8pm, normally I would drive over (last week it was to a student at 930pm on a sunday night) but on this occassion that just wasn't possible.
My thought was to hire a taxi to take my keys to her, at a cost of circa £30, I could then re collect them when passing.
However, I recalled the 'reasonable costs' part of the new legislation (and having to provide written evidence plus the effort involved) and since I'm feeling much maligned by the Government and it's continuing tortuous legislation, I passed the problem back to the tenant who called an emergency locksmith and probably paid circa £200.

Clearly the 'law' of unintended consequences will apply to ill thought out Government legislation but seriously what were they thinking!! Lost keys (and locked out) rarely happen at social hours, there is always an urgency involved but at least prior to the fees ban the tenant had a choice - pay the landlord or pay an emergency locksmith (or perhaps break a window). I know which is significantly cheaper (and safer).

All best

23/06/2019 09:25

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions