Legionnaires’ Disease responsibility?

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Legionnaires’ Disease responsibility?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
NoobLandlord
30 Posts
3 Thanks
Hello everyone,

I have been informed by my managing agent that there is now legislation that requires landlords to carry out checks for Legionnaires disease. More specifically they told me:

"A recent change in Health and Safety Executive (HSE) legislation means landlords must now take steps to control Legionnaires’ Disease in their properties.
Previously, residential lettings were exempt due to their size, but the recent change means every property must now undergo a risk assessment for Legionella, which anybody can complete so long as they are competent.

As Legionella risk assessments are now a legal requirement, we will arrange for one to be carried out unless you wish to undertake your own assessments, please let us know ..... we’ll assume you’re happy for us to proceed at a cost of £65 + VAT per property. Assessments will be due every two years.
Please note that unless you are appropriately qualified, you are not permitted to do your own checks.

Is this legit? I find the wording a bit strange where it says
"Anybody can complete it as long as they are competent"
"Appropriately qualified, you are not permitted to do your own checks".

Can someone please clear this up for me?

A) Is it a legal requirement that every landlord must carry out
B) Can anyone do it? i.e. myself

Thank you
This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
22/02/2015 01:51

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband