Served notice of Secion 21(4), one tenent served in person, one by letterbox

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Served notice of Secion 21(4), one tenent served in person, one by letterbox
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
P
Pui
22 Posts
1 Thanks
Hi,
I tried to serve notice of s.21(4) to my tenants (husband and wife) today. I asked them to sign receipt of it, and unwillingly the husband signed it, but he refused to let his wife sign it. It seems weird but I later wonder if it means that if I end up requiring baliff to evict them, I can only evict husband, and the wife can stay. Can anyone advise please?

On the other hand, I forgot that I was advised to give EACH TENANT a copy of the notice. I only left one copy to them, and I myself kept one copy with the husband's signature. Since I am worried I'd end up not being allowed to evict both tenants, I am thinking to bring a witness with me tomorrow, and serve the same notice through a letterbox. Do you think it is right thing to do?

Also, rent date is 3rd each month. I served it today (1st Mar) in person and the husband signed. With witness, I'll give his wife a copy of the notice tomorrow (2nd March). Since it will be considered received next business date, that is 3rd Mar, which is right on the rent date. Am I still fulfiling the rules of serving s21(4)? The expiry is 2nd May.

Thanks
01/03/2015 23:52

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband