Renewing a tenancy, new AST or Periodic? TDS renewal? Council Deposit?

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Renewing a tenancy, new AST or Periodic? TDS renewal? Council Deposit?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
N
New Landlord
9 Posts
0 Thanks
Hello,
I am a new landlord with only one property. We have had a good tenant for one year now and our RLA based AST is soon to come to an end. We are happy to renew, but are unsure about the virtues and dangers of leaving the AST to roll into a periodic tenancy vs. Writing up a new AST.
The situation is muddied a bit by the fact that the original AST was agreed and signed with the tenant as sole deposit payer. This was registered with TDS as such.
After all the paperwork was in place and tenancy started, we were then informed by the local authority housing dept, that they had refunded the deposit to the tenants under their emergancy scheme, and therefore now required me to include them on the TDS.
I refused, telling them that they were not party to my existing contract, so had no right to make any demand. That was the last I heard from them.
Roll on a year, and we are now looking to renew or go periodic.I am presuming that the TDS will need renewing at the end of each year. I dont think the tenants will have paid the council back.
So where to from here?
Sorry its a long Q, but felt it best to include the details
05/03/2015 09:07

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband