Join the Residential Landlords Association

Inventory and deposit

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Inventory and deposit
SCORPION
SCORPION
2 Posts
0 Thanks

We had an agency find us tenants and as part of their service they collected the rent which was for the full 6 months and the deposit. They set up the contract and did the inventory at the beginning and registered the deposit.

The tenant has now moved out and although the agency have not managed the property or had any involvement during the tenancy, the tenant has been contacting the agent and said that he would be giving the keys to them. When we contacted the agent as to why they were getting involved in this as we only paid for a finders and set up service and nothing else, they have said that as they registred the deposit in their name, they would collect the keys and do the inventory and work out any deductions.

The tenants moved out last Friday and the agency have said we cannot enter the property till they have done the closing inventory as it would invalidate any deductions that could be made.

I am really annoyed and puzzled as to why the agency is getting involved as I dont think they should be doing so and what right do they have to stop me from entering my property.

Should they not have registered the deposit in my name? I really think something is not right about what they are saying and have never come across this before with an agency.

Please can you advise.

Thanks

08/07/2019 18:04

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions