Join the Residential Landlords Association

Not returning the bond, what to do?

You are here : Member Forums General Discussion Not returning the bond, what to do?
H. Cardiff
H. Cardiff
27 Posts
1 Thanks

I had student tenants living in my property for 12 months. They left the the house in a complete mess having broken a lot of furniture and leaving a huge amount of rubbish. I had to hire a skip to dispose of the rubbish, hire an odd job man to fill up the skip and cleaners to get the place back as it was.I have receipts for the hired help and skip hire. The total amount that I will have to pay for services and damages to the property will be around £3,200, their deposit is £3,000. Some of the furniture has not been replaced as the new tenants did not want it fully furnished.I therefore have receipts for the workmen/women but only estimates for replacing furniture)
What should be my next step as today is the tenth day from the end of the tenancy. Is it my responsibility to inform Mydeposits, or do I wait for them to make a complaint? Do I need to unprotect the deposit?
I have before and after photos and can get statements from the letting agent to the condition of the house prior to them moving in and the day after they left.(They had a tenant finding service only, it's not fully managed by an agent)
The tenants claim that they left the house in perfect condition and that the rubbish in the photographs are not theirs, although they were taken the day after they left.
Would appreciate any advice on what should be my next step.

10/07/2019 19:33

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Ideal Flatmate
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions