Newham HMO - How to prove record of HMO tenancy + renovation vacancy = loss of C4 HMO status?

You are here : Member Forums HMO Licensing Newham HMO - How to prove record of HMO tenancy + renovation vacancy = loss of C4 HMO status?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
Doogie
1 Posts
1 Thanks
Bought property in Newham council April 2014
Has 4 non related tenants plus one partner on expired / rolling lease (5 year tenants)
Owner had no HMO licence
I then moved tenants out and renovated for 6 months and obtained an HMO (small / additional) licence successfully
Renovations added a room (dimensions comply to HMO environmental licencing dimensions) and toilet plus major refresh
Rented to 4 unrelated tenants
Council today (5months later) say I am in breach of planning laws for "material change in use" - ie: non HMO to HMO use with no planning permission.
Then said if I can prove continuous record of HMO tenancy plus if 6 months building vacancy hasn't reset if's use back to C3 family dwelling then I can get a "certificate of lawfulness" and I'm fine
Then (few hours later) said:
No record of HMO use plus 6 month builder vacanty means I cannot qualify based on continuation of established HMO C4 use and hence am in breach of planning and need to move tenants out.
Questions:
1) what standard of proof is needed to show established HMO use?
2) does building renovation with 6 months empty property mean I definately lose all established planning hmo roghts?
3) how Iikely is later reattempt at planning approval for additional HMO to be successful following a letter of enforcement?
This member has been thanked by 1 member for this post.
01/04/2015 14:34

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Ideal Flatmate
Elfin Kitchens
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions