OFt vs Foxtons- renewal fees

You are here : Member Forums Letting Agents OFt vs Foxtons- renewal fees
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
Trina
37 Posts
5 Thanks
Hello!

My tenants have just renewed their AST for the 3rd year running and the agency have sent me their invoice for 1650! I'm naturally staggered because I thought the Foxtons case ruled out renewal fees after two years. I've politely responded as such to the agency who have replied:

"The case law against Foxtons was because the renewal fees were not made apparent to the consumer and were hidden in their small print, not that they were actually unfair as fees. There has never been anything passed to say that renew fees are only payable for the first two year, they are payable for every year tenants renew. Ours renewal fees are very clear in our terms and conditions, I have attached a copy of the signed terms outlining that renewals will be charged at 8%."

Can you please advise me regards the correct law on this point? Not least because the OFT is now a defunct organisation!

Thank you!
13/05/2015 11:06

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband