Tenant is subletting without consent

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Tenant is subletting without consent
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
RA - London
8 Posts
0 Thanks
It recently came to light that my tenant, who has been renting a room in a property I own for approximately 6 years, has been subletting her room without consent. I regularly renew her agreement but the last one became a periodic tenancy in April 2015.

Her main residence is with her employer (as she works as a housekeeper). She sublets the room I let and stays with the ‘new tenant’ in the room approx. 1 day per week.
Over the years she has caused a lot of problems with the other tenants including verbally and physically attacking them.

Her rent is due weekly (every Sunday) although I tend to collect it from her every 4 weeks. The last time I collected the rent was on Sunday 21st June.

I would like to issue her with a notice to leave but I am not sure if I should follow the section 8 route (as she is in breach of the tenancy agreement by subletting without consent) or section 21 route.

Also, what dates do I need to quote on each notice? I understand that the rules are slightly different when the rent is due weekly?

The tenant has stated that she will get advice from the citizens advice bureau with regards to any notice I serve so I think she will make this process as lengthy as possible.
Also, she believes she has rights as a long standing tenant. Is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.
29/06/2015 15:16

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband