Subletting without permission - what's the penalty?

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Subletting without permission - what's the penalty?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
R
Richard F
6 Posts
0 Thanks
A few weeks ago one of my tenants told me that someone had moved into the flat above her, (whole house is mine in 7 self contained flats). When she chatted with them she discovered that they were friends of my current tenant, and they would be living there while she was in France for a few months.

I asked my agent if there was a clause preventing subletting in our AST, and he said there is. I asked him what the penalty was for breach, and he said, "It's breach of contract", so I asked him what the penalty was for this breach, and he said, " its never happened before".

So he doesn't know... and nor do I.

If it all went wrong, and the "friends", (who may not be paying my tenant any rent, thus probably not subletting), or subletters, either cause problems and I want them out, or if the actual tenant were to stop paying rent, and I want possession, what are my options to get the friends/subletters out?

Hard to see how it could be Sec 21 or Sec 8 as I have no contract/tenancy with them, but whatever it is I need to know, and perhaps I'll educate my agent on it.

Many Thanks

Richard
30/07/2015 15:57

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Six Hills House
Landlord Broadband