Empty Unfurnished Property Council Tax Rebate

You are here : Member Forums Other Empty Unfurnished Property Council Tax Rebate
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
B
bills
4 Posts
0 Thanks
After a recent tenancy ended I received a Council Tax bill for the remainder of the Year including what looks like a 1 month rebate for empty unfurnished property. I had not explicitly claimed it so was pleasantly surprised after getting over the fact that it had changed down from 6 months recently.

I got a new tenant in place within two months and asked for a new bill covering the truncated period and I also formally claimed the empty unfurnished property discount. The new bill had a reduced discount and a telephone inquiry implied that my old tenant had claimed the same discount so the entitlement to me was reduced. This seems unfair to me since I had no knowledge of the tenant's claim and no access to the property until the end of their tenancy.

I understand that the Council deal with these discounts on a per property basis and don't care who is claiming. Should I insist that they discount at the amount on the first bill or on the principle that the tenant has no right to claim the discount?

It may be nit picking but the Council also insist that the start date for my liability is the last day of the tenancy agreement yet they say the last day is also the last day of liability for the tenant. They insist that their computer system allows for that but I have no obvious way of confirming that. Is this apparent double charging for the handover day legal?

Regards
Bill.
03/08/2015 12:56

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Remove a Tenant
Landlord Broadband
John Pye Auctions