Join the Residential Landlords Association

Damage - furniture

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Damage - furniture
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Robert
Robert
32 Posts
1 Thanks

I have a dilemma and not sure if I need to accept the fact and move on.

A good tenant is in the last month of the 12mth tenancy in a flat. During the removal of clothes from the double wardrobe, found the back panel had been pushed out from the locating slots due to overloading. They moved it from the wall to gain access and conduct a repair. It started to fall and in the process of "saving" it, the wardrobe is damaged and unrepairable.
The wardrobe has been in the property for over 10 years, was of good quality and due to its size and weight, was not moved when a carpet was fitted 4 1/2 years ago. The carpet is of good quality, was fitted throughout the flat and shows little sign of wear in the bedroom and is not at the end of life in the rest of the property.

I am now faced with the unexpected replacement of the wardrobe and carpet. Guidelines would suggest that only a fraction of the costs would be possible due to the age of the items.

Can I legitimately make a claim close to the real costs or have to settle for not much more than a token gesture?

25/09/2019 09:33

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions