Join the Residential Landlords Association

Leaseholder not paying for maintenance

You are here : Member Forums Maintenance Leaseholder not paying for maintenance
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Matthew S
Matthew S
2 Posts
0 Thanks

I am managing a property on behalf of an elderly, sick relative who owns the freehold and two out of the three flats which it is divided into. The property is a large house and the first floor is a leasehold flat which, as set out in the lease is responsible for 50% of the repairs, maintenance etc.
My relative has appointed me to manage and I am doing so keeping records, arranging insurance, and a detailed log of all things in relation to the building.
Despite sending invoices to the Leaseholder they are saying that they are not paying in full until I enter into a management agreement with them.
My points are...
Can they insist on a management agreement between myself and themselves the Leaseholder. If so how will this effect their lease with the Freeholder.

What do I have to do to recover the moneys I have spent going back some two years now. (I invoice in arrears1st Jan to 31st Dec).

They have paid 2017, but are not paying 2018 (even though I have reduced the costs for this year through better management).

I have a programme of future maintenance that I am working through and am concerned that this will stall.

I understand that major works (£250 per party) must be notified under section 20.

I am genuine and the property although in reasonable condition, does need maintaining.

They want to sell the lease at some stage and with a proper management agreement this will be easier, however that's not my concern atm. and I don't want to enter into any agreements on behalf of the Freeholder if I don't have to.

Thanks any help will be appreciated.

02/10/2019 16:09

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show London Olympia 2019
Residently
99 Homes
John Pye Auctions