"Agents of Necessity"

You are here : Member Forums Campaigning and Policy "Agents of Necessity"
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
3 Posts
0 Thanks
I have a house with 3 flats in, there is a front door and 3 inside flat doors. The police had a requirement to break into 2 of the flats thus damaging the 2 internal flat doorlocks, the tenants (on shorthold tenancies) were arrested so the police called a boarding company to come and fix locks to the doors.

The police did not inform me that they had done this although they have my contact details and the boarding company did not send me a bill till 6 months later saying that it was my responsibility to pay the bill and reclaim off the tenants who by that time were no longer tenants in my property.

What should be the correct proceedure for all concerned, am I liable for the boarding company bill or should they have been billing the tenants.

The boarding company say they are working as "Agents of Necessity" and have supposedly agreed rates with the police, but I been unable to get any confirmation of this from the police, they charge high travel &labour rates, use the cheapest of materials and charge extortionate prices for them ie. Hasp, Staple/padbolt &padlock charged at 20.95 + Vat - cost in local store (not trade price)less than 5.00 inc vat. but as you can see I have no control of this because they are acting as a third party?

Naturaly I'm not happy

Please advise.

31/10/2006 00:00

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband