Tenant who signed & paid 12 month lease in adv wants to leave after 3mths

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Types and Management Tenant who signed & paid 12 month lease in adv wants to leave after 3mths
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Forum Avatar
Mr Blue Sky
5 Posts
0 Thanks
Our tenant wants to leave, after only 3 months into a 12-month AST which they volunteered to pay in advance. I checked with RLA and amended the RLA AST accordingly following RLA phone advice. Tenant is not claiming that there is a fault with the property, but is finding the change of location difficult/lonely etc and wants to move back to where tenant knows. How much notice does tenant need to give me? Do they have to wait until I find a satisfactory new tenant? Do I refund them from moving out date or until a new tenant moves in? I'm concerned because we'll now be in the run up to Christmas which isn't great for finding new tenants etc. Plus I opted for a minimum 12-month let as I'm not a full-time landlord and only have one property, but have a full-time job and I didn't want to deal with the workload of short-term lets, so this will be a lot of work for me at a busy time. Tenant thinks they will move out in Nov, but has not yet given formal notice - but ideally I'd like new tenancy to begin in Jan (which would give me Xmas hols to prep property) and do viewings as soon as they move out (rather than when they are still in the property). I've just processed a reference enquiry from prospective agent for them. I want to be fair and helpful to tenant and comply with legal obligations but what do I do? Any advice very welcome - thank you.
04/10/2015 08:22

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband