Rent Arrears - Dealing with Council

You are here : Member Forums Rent Arrears Rent Arrears - Dealing with Council
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
K
kmbstfc
83 Posts
15 Thanks
Have a Tenant who has gone into Rent Arreas of 8 weeks.

The Tenant has been in for over 3 years. At the start of the Tenancy, the Tenant told me she was in full time work - she was often in rent arrears, but always paid up in the end.

I have just recently learned she is in receipt of Housing Benefit to supplement her income.

She has now fallen into rent arrears once again.

Applied to Council for payment to Landlord, which the Council have accepted. I believe the HB that the Council provide do not cover the whole rent (ie there is a shortfall).

Just received a letter from the Council which includes the line
"ONCE WE ARE SATISFIED THE ARREARS ARE CLEAR, PAYMENTS WILL REVERT TO THE TENANT"

I sent the Council a rent statement showing that she is often in rent arrears, but after much hassle on my part, the Tenant eventually pays up.

Are other Landlords aware of theis practice, as I thought once a decision has been made to pay to the Landlord, this continues until the Tenancy ends.

How is the Council going to find out if her rent arrears has been satisfied (other than contact Landlord - I would be very loathe to tell them due to rent arrears in the past, or contact Tenant).

The process with the Council can take up to 4 weeks anyway, so was advised by the Council personnel to apply after 4 weeks of rent arrears, rather than the Council website stating apply after 8 weeks.

10/10/2015 10:28

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband