Should I be returning the tenant's deposit?

You are here : Member Forums Tenancy Deposits Should I be returning the tenant's deposit?
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
M
2 Posts
0 Thanks
My tenants (2 male sharers) gave me just less than 2 notice before the end of the fixed term to leave my 2 bed property. However a week or so later they informed me that they changed their minds and that they wanted to stay. About 1 week before the end of their fixed term we arranged to meet to renew their tenancy agreement for a further 6 months but they informed me that at this that "due to unforeseen circumstances" they were not able to renew and would be leaving immediately as a result.

One of the brand new windows in the bedroom used by one of the tenants has been severely damaged as has the blind. In addition to this the flat was left dirty and not professionally cleaned.

Based on the information above and the fact that they did not give me adequate notice to leave in the end, how much of their deposit am I allowed to keep and how much should I be returning, if any bearing in mind that I am now losing rent and have no notice time to find a new tenant?
16/10/2015 07:41

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband