Providing Copy of served Terms and Conditions for prescribed Information

You are here : Member Forums Possession - Section 8 and Section 21 Providing Copy of served Terms and Conditions for prescribed Information
This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
F
figgy
18 Posts
1 Thanks
I served a valid section 21 notice on a tenant which expired in December 2012. I did not serve court papers on the tenant and his tenancy continued although there has never been any revocation of the S21.

The area the tenant lives in was placed under selective licencing last year which meant the tenant had one small child too many to stay at the property. I have tried to find suitable alternative accommodation for the tenant within my portfolio but I have been unable to do so. As we are coming to the end of the 12 month allowable period for the tenant to remain in the property I gave the chap a copy of his S21 and told him to approach the local housing authority who would then be able to place him on the priority housing list.

The tenant went to the LHA. He was told the S21 wasn't valid and I then received a snotty letter from the council saying I couldn't just 'throw tenants out' without serving notice and that I couldn't serve notice because I hadn't protected the deposit. I sent the council a copy of the relevant DPS confirmation email showing the bond was protected.

I then received a further missive detailing why the S21 wasn't valid because I hadn't provided various information to the tenant. Reading down the very, very long list of information I had apparently neglected to provide this was clearly the prescribed information. I sent a copy of PI signed my both myself and the tenant.

The council are now saying that they want to see a full copy of the DPS terms and conditions which were served with the PI.

Here's the rub. I haven't got a copy of the Terms and Conditions. I do print off the T&C's and attach them to the back of the tenant's copy of the PI but in order to save on filing space I have never bothered to print off the T&Cs to attach to my own file copies as I have quite a few properties and I didn't want to be inundated with lots and lots of papers which all say about the same thing on them.

I feel like the council are being picky because they made a mistake in the first instance. Advising the tenant the S21 wasn't valid because the bond wasn't protected when it actually was.

Have I dropped a clanger by not keeping copies of the Terms and Conditions or am I within my rights just to tell the council the documents have been given to the tenant but I don't have a copy myself?

Here's hoping I've not dropped one.

Cheers

22/10/2015 17:43

Want to read more?

This is a members only forum, if you want to read more you need to login to your membership, if you are not a member, click here to join.

This topic has been locked as no posts have been made within the last 90 days.
Landlord & Investment Show
Martin Co
Envirovent
Landlord Broadband